guix-devel

Re: Returning to the project

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Returning to the project
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 23:00:29 -0400

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 12:59:36AM +0200, brettg@posteo.net wrote:
> I think some of you may member me. I am a committer to the Guix project who
> took a hiatus after my son was born. I am returning from that hiatus and
> would love to begin contributing again.

Welcome back!

Please upload your new key to your account on Savannah:

https://savannah.gnu.org/users/brettgilio

> I have a new set of PGP keys, and am curious about the method to get back
> into a position where contributions can be made. If anybody can help guide
> me in the right direction it would be appreciated!

The contribution workflow is mostly the same, but here are the two
noteworthy changes I can think of:

First, the cutoff between the 'staging' and 'core-updates' branches was
increased from 1200 to 1800 package rebuilds [1].

Second, the signatures of the Git commits are used in more parts of Guix
than before [2]. You'll need to make some tweaks related to this.

The pre-push Git hook has improved from simply checking that commits are
signed. It now also makes sure those signatures were made by approved
committers. So make sure you're using the latest version of the hook
script found at 'etc/git/pre-push' in our Git repo, in order to avoid
mistakes.

The hook runs the new `make authenticate` Makefile target, which is
worth getting to work before needing to push. You'll need to fetch the
'keyring' Git branch and keep it around in your copy of the repo.

The HACKING file turned into a chapter in the manual, and item #4 has
some more info about these GPG-related changes [3]. Also more info at
the end of Building From Git [4].

[1] See item #8:
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html

[2]