guix-devel

Re: (propagated) 'inputs' depends on 'outputs'?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: (propagated) 'inputs' depends on 'outputs'?
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 14:31:55 +0200

Hi Chris,

Thank you for explaining.  It still miss a point.

On Sat, 13 Jun 2020 at 12:16, Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> wrote:

> Looking at different outputs, the references are different. If you're
> just using the "out" output, then you don't need subversion in your
> store, but if you're using the "svn" output, then you do, as that output
> references an output for subversion.
>
> The references for an output isn't something specified, but something
> decided by what references that output actually contains.

I understand.

Back to the Git's example, there is still something I miss: I cannot
build Git from source (e.g. no substitutes) using "guix build git"
without downloading -- and possibly building too -- all the Subversion
stuff.

Other said, if I run "guix install git --no-substitutes" then I will
build all the Git outputs, so build all Subversion and other, and
finally only install the references of "out" (the rest could be garbage
collected).

Cheers,
simon