guix-devel

Re: Can we increase the print width/column in daemon backtraces

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Can we increase the print width/column in daemon backtraces
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 23:28:33 +0200

Hi,

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> skribis:

> The COLUMN environment option (set in root's .bash_profile) does not
> extend the print width of backtraces when running `guix build`.

I understand, but which backtraces are we talking about?

COLUMNS only helps if you wish to debug ‘guix build’ itself.  It cannot
influence Guile processes launched by the daemon, such as those that
build derivations and the helper processes (‘guix substitute’, etc.).

In most cases, we’re interested in backtraces coming from Guile
processes that build derivations.  For that, we need to set COLUMNS in
the #:env-vars argument of ‘gexp->derivation’ or similar.

HTH!

Ludo’.