guix-devel

Re: Guix mirrors

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Guix mirrors
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 13:57:41 +0200

Hi Ricardo,

On Wed, 20 May 2020 at 13:02, Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> wrote:

> I expect that this will change soon after some more discussion of the
> details.

Last time we discussed that was on December [1].  What is missing is: discuss if

  a) an "official" mirror is hard-coded in '%default-channels'
or
  b) an "official" mirror is documented in the  manual and it is up to
the user to setup it via ~/.config/guix/channels.scm.

The a) annoys people who do not want the mirror, so they have to tweak
the list by themself and in the same a) is more newcomer-friendly
because it just works.
The b) annoys newcomers because it is another step and in the same
time b) is more customizable.

Obviously, there is option c): guix-install.sh asks a question and
then do the b) dance.

And discuss if a channel is described as:

 (channel
   (name 'guix)
   (url "https://savannah…";)
   (mirror (list "https://mirror-one…";
                    "https://mirror-two…";)))

[ where mirror is optional ]

or something else?

Well, Ludo suggested [2] to address "Trustable guix pull" [3]; which
should be really cool!
Now, I am not sure to understand if there is no mirror mechanism
because no one took the time to implement it or if any other reasons
related to "trustable guix pull".

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-12/msg00150.html
[2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-12/msg00276.html
[3] http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/22883