guix-devel

Re: guix describe user experience improvement proposition

From: Ekaitz Zarraga
Subject: Re: guix describe user experience improvement proposition
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 20:13:49 +0000

On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 9:44 PM, zimoun <address@hidden> wrote:

> Dear
>
> On Tue, 12 May 2020 at 21:07, Ekaitz Zarraga address@hidden wrote:
>
> > I suggest adding the possible format list in the help of the `guix describe
> > -h` command. That way the feature discovery is easier for users that don't
> > want to dig in the code.
>
> Usually, the way to add such information is '--list-formats', e.g.,
> see "guix graph"with '--list-types' and '-list-backends'. I do not
> know if it is an usually. ;-)

But do you think it's interesting?
Or is it just me?

I like the `--list-types` approach. If it's interesting I would contribute with
a patch.

> > -   (display (G_ "
> > -   -f, --format=FORMAT display information in the given FORMAT"))
> >
> > -   (display (string-append (G_ "
> > -   -f, --format=FORMAT display information in the given FORMAT: ")
> > (string-join available-formats "|")))
>
> The issue is the length, so at least it should on 2 lines to fix screen size.

Yeah I was aware of that. I was just adding the diff to try to share what I
wanted, rather than like something we should add with no changes. :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Ekaitz