guix-devel

Re: hide more output

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: hide more output
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 01:25:54 +0200

On Wed, 6 May 2020 at 22:01, Bengt Richter <address@hidden> wrote:

> Just so I don't have to re-run something very timeconsuming to see the
> verbose version.

In this case, you can always run the command using the verbose option.
It is the same with all the CLI I know, one cannot have the milk and
the butter for the same price. ;-)

> IOW, if there isn't one, I think there ought to be a default detailed log
> produced (while teeing through optional verbosity/brevity filters or the
> user's grep.

This is an interesting idea.  Something under '/var/log/guix/per-user'.
But this is a piece of work -- from what I understand -- and I am not
sure if it will provide really more useful information.  A lot of
information is already tracked, e.g., "guix pull -l",  "guix package
-l", "guix build -n" and "guix build -d", "guix graph", "guix size".
What seems missing is the origin of the packages (substitute by which
server or built locally).  Well, I am not convinced by the usefulness
of a detailed log mechanism.  I do not know...

All the best,
simon