guix-devel

Re: Data service: package information

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Data service: package information
Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 19:56:42 +0200

Hi Chris,

On Wed, 6 May 2020 at 19:36, Christopher Baines <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Aside, does it make sense to add the revision number (short commit
> > hash, e.g., abc123) and the red (X) or the green (V) close to "More
> > information" to easily check the status of the derivation.  It avoids
> > one click when it is green. ;-)
>
> I'm not sure what page this relates to?

For example, I am going to this webpage:

https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/docker

And from that page, I have to click to say (More information) below
this 2020-04-20 20:23:33 and then I arrive to this webpage:

http://data.guix.gnu.org/revision/b023a8acd38b57b159aeeef0ac6de73960f97e8b/package/git/2.26.2

Nice! All green!! :-)

Another example, I am going to this webpage [1]:

[1] https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/docker

and say I click to (More information) below 2020-05-06 16:18:16 and
then I arrive to this webpage:

https://data.guix.gnu.org/revision/758f32afdbc6cf6018a2e76eef5085f6b693c15a/package/docker/19.03.7

Bad news! Docker is broken.  Going back to [1], now I try another
(More Information) until I find one green.

Well, to avoid to click, I would like to have the red icon (X) or the
green icon (V) close to (More information) to easily visualize which
ones I want to click.

Hope it makes sense?

> > The 2) is a bit more complicated.  First does it make sense?  Because
> > the computation of a derivation is probably required, isn't it?  Well,
> > it is related to [1], isn't?
> >
> > Is it possible to fetch such "binary availability" from the Data
> > Service?  If yes, how?
> >
> > [1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-03/msg00337.html
>
> So this is something that I'd suggest doing without the Guix Data
> Service. There's has-substitutes? in (guix store) to fetch the
> substitute availability for a store path, and that will use the
> substitute servers the user has configured, which could be completely
> different to the ones the Guix Data Service knows about, so doing this
> just from the users machine is more representative.

Cool!  Thank you for the tip.  I will give a look.

> > Note that from the webpage [2], the link bottom redirect with http://
> > without the 's'.  I do not know if it matters.
> >
> > [2] http://hpc.guix.info/package/git
>
> I didn't think there was much value in forcing HTTPS for
> data.guix.gnu.org, so it works with or without TLS currently.

For people in paranoid mode? ;-)

Cheers,
simon