guix-devel

Re: Adding a subcommand "load-profile"

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Re: Adding a subcommand "load-profile"
Date: Sun, 03 May 2020 13:56:43 -0700

On 2020-05-03, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> sirgazil <address@hidden> skribis:
>>  ---- On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 22:42:53 +0000 Roel Janssen <address@hidden> wrote
>> ----
>>  > We added a subcommand in the "guixr" script called "load-profile".  It
>> allows a
>>  > user to do the following:
>>  >
>>  > $ guixr package -i ... -p /my/profile
>>  > $ guixr load-profile /my/profile
>>  > [env]$
>>  >   # ... A new shell is spawned here.
>>  >   #     Inside this shell only the environment variables in
>>  >   #     /my/profile/etc/profile are set ...
>>  > [env]$ exit
>>  >   # Return to the normal shell state
>>  >

> [...]
>
>> Personally, I think managing Guix profiles is currently difficult, and I
>> would like to have commands like this one to make it easier.
>
> I’m interested in your feedback then.
>
> To me, there are already several ways to do that, notably:
>
>   1. guix environment (but it’s slower)
>
>   2. sh
>      . /my/profile/etc/profile.sh
>      exit
>
>   3. sh
>      eval `guix package -p /my/profile --search-paths`
>      exit
>
> Options #2 and #3 are more verbose, and less obvious to someone not
> familiar with the shell.

The only way i understand how to trivially get a precise environment is
"guix environment --pure --ad-hoc package1, package2, ... packageN"

Don't options #2 and #3 also include everything from the default profile
and system profile?

I like the ability to maintain separate profiles and run "guix upgrade
-p my/profile" on each profile, but I haven't figured out how to get
something equivalent to "guix environment --pure --profile my/profile".

I find this useful when updating diffoscope or reprotest packages, which
tend to have a lot of suggested optional packages that aren't really
hard dependencies.

This looks "load-profile" subcommand seems to attempting to meet that
use-case, if I'm reading it correctly?

live well,
  vagrant