guix-devel

Re: Adding a subcommand "load-profile"

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Adding a subcommand "load-profile"
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 15:48:57 +0200

Dear Roel,

On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 at 14:46, Roel Janssen <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > If there is interest in having this as a "load-profile" subcommand, I will
> > > post
> > > an initial implementation to the mailing list ASAP.
> >
> > Instead of another subcommand, I would suggest to add an option to
> > "guix environment".
> > Then an another further step should maybe combine "--load-profile" and
> > "--ad-hoc" in order to create a temporary "augmented" profile.
>
> I would strongly prefer to keep it backwards-compatible for our local HPC
> users.
> Also, the "environment" command generates a new profile, whereas the proposed
> "load-profile" merely applies the environment variables of an existing profile
> to a newly spawned shell.  I think the way they work differs enough to
> warrant a
> separate subcommand.

I understand that you would like to keep backward-compatibility with
your current tools and ease the switch for your users. But you could
do so by replacing all the shell code in the 'guixr load-profile' by
"guix environment --load-profile". :-)

On one hand, I am not convinced by adding another subcommand as I said
above. :-)
On the other hand, this new subcommand loading a profile could be the
starting point of the "guix develop" subcommand that was mentioned
some time ago.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-10/msg00613.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-11/msg00019.html

All the best,