guix-devel

Re: 02/02: image: Disable compression for ISO images.

From: Mathieu Othacehe
Subject: Re: 02/02: image: Disable compression for ISO images.
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 18:00:05 +0200

Hey Tobias,

> address@hidden 写道:
>> +   ;; XXX: Temporarily disable compression to speed-up the tests.
>> +   (compression? #f)))
>
> Interesting!  What kind of improvement do you see, roughly?

I posted some figures here:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-04/msg00374.html.

Here's a more complete summary:

|                | Host (wip-disk-image) | VM (master) |
|----------------+-----------------------+-------------|
| No compression | 4min                  | 12min       |
| Compression    | 8min                  | 19min       |

> When I added zlib compression I was surprised to learn that here it made no
> significant difference in wall clock time (less than a minute; 5% or so) or
> CPU time.  The disks they spin and CPU she is fast, but still I would have
> noticed a spike.

Strange we have different results, those benches are not very accurate
though.

Thanks,

Mathieu