guix-devel

Re: Reflections on the release process

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Reflections on the release process
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 18:06:31 +0200

On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 at 22:09, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:

> Yes, but how do we do that?  I don’t think Debbugs supports a
> “release-critical” tag, does it?  Or perhaps we could take advantage of
> Mumi to add special tags or something?

The GNU instance of Debbugs does not support it, I agree.
However, the Debian instance supports more tags than the GNU one, e.g.,

patch, wontfix, moreinfo, unreproducible, help, security, upstream,
pending, confirmed, ipv6, lfs, d-i, l10n, newcomer, a11y, ftbfs,
fixed-upstream, fixed, fixed-in-experimental, potato, woody, sarge,
etch, lenny, squeeze, wheezy, jessie, stretch, buster, bullseye,
bookworm, sid, experimental, sarge-ignore, etch-ignore, lenny-ignore,
squeeze-ignore, wheezy-ignore, jessie-ignore, stretch-ignore,
buster-ignore, bullseye-ignore, bookworm-ignore

https://www.debian.org/Bugs/

I have not dove into the Debbugs configuration so I do not know if it
is easy or not to extend the list of tags. However, because it is
managed by GNU sysadmin, it should be a long road. ;-)

And I do not know what is the "effect" of the 'block' command. Because
a "release vx.y" bug could be open. And the release critical issues
could be marked as "block release-vx.y". This bug "release vx.y" could
help to synchronise/coordinate and/or track progress and should help
for managing the schedule and deadlines.

I do not know. I am thinking loud.

> I think there’s no question we want more than one release per year.  For
> that to happen, we should make sure the process is well documented, as
> smooth as possible, largely automated, and not tied to a single person
> (ahem…).

Agree.

Cheers,
simon