guix-devel

Re: iPXE network booting (was Re: [GSOC 2020] Booting via network)

From: Brice Waegeneire
Subject: Re: iPXE network booting (was Re: [GSOC 2020] Booting via network)
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 19:33:57 +0000

Hello Giovanni,

On 2020-04-10 13:44, Giovanni Biscuolo wrote:

[...]

I never used iPXE but... please consider using iPXE (if possible) for
Guix network booting and consider that this feature is a prerequisite
for seamless remote desktop with Guix (using x2go or xrdp like the new
LTSP is doing [1]) in addition to "diskless fat clients"; a very cool
feature, I think :-D

Since the proposal has already been submitted I can't promise to add iPXE
support in the context of this GSoC, however I will keep it in mind when
implementing PXE booting. If I'm able to finish it early I'll look into
adding iPXE booting as a bonus.

In addition to LAN booting, iPXE supports booting from:

* a web server via HTTP/HTTPS
* an iSCSI SAN
* a Fibre Channel SAN via FCoE
* an AoE SAN
* a wireless network
* a wide-area network
* an Infiniband network

inlcuding "code signing" to verify the authenticity and integrity of
files downloaded by iPXE.

Users will have many interesting, configurable [2] and secure ways to
boot Guix with iPXE :-D (imagine booting from a remote host connected
via a wireguard network connection... could it be possible?!?)

Wow, that sounds cool. I would like to find out if it's possible too.

[...]

HTH! Thanks, Gio'

Yes it is helping, really, that was dense with information.

Cheers,
- Brice