guix-devel

Re: Compressed ISO image got bigger

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Compressed ISO image got bigger
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 23:52:42 +0200

Jonathan, Guix,

There's no way around this: zisofs is an old (2004-ish?) standard and it's limited to zlib. Calling XZ on the result as we do now is still worthwhile but not efficient.

Ludovic Courtès 写道:
I think the download size also matters, though to a lesser extent.

This is also my opinion.

It’d be ideal if we could have our cake and eat it too, but at any rate
the ISO size improvement is welcome!

Cake will be served once I (or someone else) get squashfs boot working reliably. We'll no longer *have* an ‘uncompressed’ ISO at that point, we'll boot directly from XZ.

But that first requires support for (real) unencrypted /boot.

Kind regards,

T G-R