guix-devel

Re: Adding the maven-build-system

From: Jack Hill
Subject: Re: Adding the maven-build-system
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2020 16:51:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 4 Apr 2020, Julien Lepiller wrote:

Hi Guix!

great news! I have successfully built a hello world package with a
fully bootstrapped maven-build-system!  This email will summarize a bit
what I did and how I got there.  For the impatient, my work is
currently at https://framagit.org/tyreunom/maven-build-channel. You can
build maven-test which only depends on the maven build system, which in
turn depends only on packages in maven-boostrap.scm and
maven-plugins-boostrap.scm.

Before I send a patch series (~200 patches if i count well), I would
like to describe what I want to do and get a bit of feedback.  I feel
that this work is good enough to go to guix, but it might bring it to
an unconfortable state where many packages will need to be converted to
the new build system(s).  I'd like to hear your opinion!

Julien,

I don't have any useful comments at this time, but I wanted to congratulate you on this progress. I know that it must have been a lot of work. Thank you for the code and the excellent description. I look forward to trying the build system soon.

Best,
Jack