guix-devel

Re: Disabling SELinux support in GLib?

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: Disabling SELinux support in GLib?
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 00:08:06 +0100

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Marius,
>
>> The 'glib' package gained SELinux support back in commit
>> 6c237a2d7bfa3c7be02c069e5c24a2b401a51864.  We do not currently support
>> SELinux in Guix System, so I'm not sure if it is worth having it in
>> GLib.  Perhaps it can be useful on foreign distributions?
>
> I’m pretty sure that I added it back then because it was needed by
> something else down the line.  Unfortunately, I do not recall what that
> may have been.

Right.  I haven't tried building anything with SELinux disabled yet.

Arch does not enable SELinux support in GLib, so we can look at how they
tackled the issues that arise.

>> It does not add a lot to the GLib size (~3.8 MiB), but it is a
>> propagated dependency that can be easily avoided.
>
> Can we somehow avoid propagation instead?

The reason I started looking at this was because I want to remove
propagated inputs that are in "Requires.private" in the pkg-config
files, as they should only be necessary when linking statically.

Unfortunately libselinux can only be built statically (AFAICT), so I
suspect most GLib dependents end up embedding libselinux.a, which I did
not account for in the initial size calculation.  :-)

(libselinux also fails to cross-compile, but then so does GLib)