guix-devel

Re: New build system: copy-build-system

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: New build system: copy-build-system
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 16:03:39 +0100

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 at 15:45, Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> wrote:

> zimoun <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Well, the questions are:
> >  - hash?
> >  - a copy on Berlin as substitute?
>
> What are the questions exactly?  I don't understand what you are asking.

Considering "large" data, the questions are:

How to compute the hash?
Does Berlin have a copy of large data set?

> > I am just taking the occasion to discussion the hypothetical
> > possibility to discuss if 'copy-build-system' could be way to
> > distribute such data set.

[...]

> Hmmm, maybe you are asking for something else, because the
> copy-build-system, as a build system, has nothing to do with the fetcher
> which is responsible for fetching the data over the network.

I know that it was not your initial intention with 'copy-build-sytem'. :-)

You want something like that:

(define-public debian-archive-keyring
  (package
    (name "debian-archive-keyring")
    (version "2019.1")
    (source ...)
    (build-system copy-build-system)
    (arguments
     '(#:install-plan
       (lambda* (#:key outputs #:allow-other-keys)
                (let* ((out (assoc-ref outputs "out"))
                       (apt (string-append out "/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/"))
                       (key (string-append out "/share/keyrings/")))
                  (install-file "keyrings/debian-archive-keyring.gpg" key)
                  (install-file "keyrings/debian-archive-removed-keys.gpg" key)
                  (for-each (lambda (file)
                              (install-file file apt))
                            (find-files "trusted.gpg" "\\.gpg$")))
                #t)))))

instead of the current:

    (build-system gnu-build-system)
    (arguments
     '(#:test-target "verify-results"
       #:parallel-build? #f ; has race conditions
       #:phases
       (modify-phases %standard-phases
         (delete 'configure) ; no configure script
         (replace 'install

I agree that it is a good idea.

The aim of my comment was:
 1. Point out a previous discussion about the packages of data only;
which is what we are talking about, right?
 2. Discuss if your proposal can fit some data distribution issue;
discussed earlier at point 1..

Cheers,
simon