guix-devel

Re: Rust bootstrapping TODO

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Rust bootstrapping TODO
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2020 18:30:00 +0100

Hi,

Danny Milosavljevic <address@hidden> skribis:

> (1) For all Mozilla Rusts except the latest one, pass
> "--disable-docs --disable-compilerdocs" in order to disable building (and
> especially TESTING) the docs.  Testing the docs takes a very long time
> and no one will ever read the docs of the compilers used for bootstrapping.

I guess this kind of change could go in a topic branch that we’d merge
once IceCat is built.

> (2) Bootstrap rust 1.29.0 directly via mrustc 0.9.
> See https://github.com/thepowersgang/mrustc/issues/140 for why that is
> currently not working.

That’d be nice!

BTW, there’s a bounty program currently to get a Rust front-end in GCC,
which would be sweet.

> (3) Parallelize things again.  In the past I've disabled parts of the
> parallel build because of bugs and/or memory constraints, but after (2) we
> could check whether they are working now.

OK.

> (4) Factor out the mrustc bootstrapper into a mrustc-bootstrapped-package
> procedure which changes a package in order to use mrustc, including the
> phases.  That way, we can easily choose which of the Mozilla Rusts we want
> to bootstrap.

Interesting.

BTW, the other day on #guix there was someone from Fedora wondering
about how we’re bootstrapping Rust and looking to adapt it.  Would be
worth joining forces!

Thanks for the update,
Ludo’.