guix-devel

Re: Maintaining Jami #3

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Maintaining Jami #3
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 11:12:10 +0100

Jan <address@hidden> writes:

> I didn't really answer your questions earlier, sorry.
>
> On Sun, 19 Jan 2020 10:20:51 +0100
> Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jan,
>>
>> I tested the Jami package we have in upstream Guix:
>>
>> - It fails to start on my desktop, it only works on my laptop.
> What do you mean by desktop, is it even a difference for the OS and the
> application?

I have a desktop computer and a laptop.  Both running a mostly identical
Guix system.
The hardware is different; in particular, the desktop does not have a
mic or a camera, if that matters.

>> - The client kept disconnecting.  I could send a few text messages
>> here and there, but most of them didn't go through.
> For me it works, I test it in my local network though. The problem
> begins when you try communicating with someone behind a strong NAT,
> firewall or a badly configured network. Based on my previous experience
> I think that's normal - it have never worked well enough, because ISPs
> don't want you to have control over your networking - client-server
> applications work well, but p2p are broken. Often router firmware is
> buggy, outdated and malicious as nonfree software is.

I've tried between my laptop and an Android.  Both were on the local network.

>> - I can receive calls, but when I click on the "pick up" button, Jami
>>   crashes.
> Maybe its something hardware specific or depends on the client you call
> with - I have no problem answering calls made from Android.
>> In general, Jami crashed _a lot_.  I wonder if it's upstream or if we
>> have something wrong with our package.
>>
>> Did you have a similar experience?
>> Does your work fix any of those issues?
>>

> I tested 20200115 version now, and it pretty much works the same.
> Anyway I fixed my private branch and can continue working, but see no
> point in waiting.
>
> What DE are you using? I could try it on my machine.

I run EXWM.

> If you run it on top of Wayland, then you should know Jami is
> currently broken on Wayland, they work on fixing it. Aaaand even if
> client-gnome will continue being broken like this, they're working on
> porting client-windows(Qt) to GNU/Linux and there's a possibility it
> won't be broken as well.

That'd be interesting.

--
Pierre Neidhardt