guix-devel

Re: Inverted index to accelerate guix package search

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Inverted index to accelerate guix package search
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 22:19:28 +0100

Hi Ricardo,

On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 at 22:03, Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> wrote:

> We could build and install the index when Guix is built and installed
> and then use it for the search.  I can’t think of a downside to adopting
> an index compared to what we have now.

I agree that it is an easy move that improve the current search experience. :-)

So, yes work in progress... using the code that Arun sent and the code
already available: sets.scm and pull.scm etc..
And how to adapt the lookup to the current fold-packages+regexp-matching.

Do you think `vhash' is better than `hash-table'?

However, I am not clear about how "guix pull" works so how to update
the index. Still trying to figure out. :-)
Well I am not clear about what is cached... I mean my folder
~/.cache/guix is crowdy. ;-)

Cheers,
simon