guix-devel

Re: extending the documentation of the Scheme API

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: extending the documentation of the Scheme API
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 19:38:33 +0100

Hi!

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> skribis:

>> we have lots of nice macros and procedures in Guix that aren’t
>> documented beyond their docstrings.
>>
>> Should we snarf the docstrings and add them to the manual?
>
> If you are talking about guix records and (guix build utils); I think it
> would be great if these were split off from Guix.  I guess that
> documenting them right now, as a first step, would be nice in itself.

It’s quite clear that the future of (guix build utils), or parts of it,
will be Gash-Core-Utils somehow.

I’m not sure about records: they’re not completely set in stone and it’s
handy to have them in the same repo, but eventually, it’ll be nicer to
have them “elsewhere.”  Same for monads.

(I like the “monorepo” approach though.  Perhaps we could have one big
Guile library repo?  :-))

In the meantime, I think documenting (guix build utils) would be helpful
to packagers.  Documenting ‘define-record-type*’ would be nice as well.

Thanks,
Ludo’.