guix-devel

Re: GRUB and installer invisible on serial console

From: Brice Waegeneire
Subject: Re: GRUB and installer invisible on serial console
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2019 20:30:43 +0100

On 2019-12-21 18:31, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
Hi Guix,

I just wanted to install Guix System on a server where I currently only
have remote access via serial console — and which happens to have a Guix USB stick stuck in its USB port. I can see the system’s UEFI output and
see that it boots from USB, but “Welcome to GRUB!” is the very last
thing I see.  There is no further output.

Our GRUB is using fancy graphics, so I wonder if that means that it has
switched to a mode that I simply can’t see over my serial connection.

Is there a way to make it start GRUB in text mode — and stay in text
mode throughout the installation?

--
Ricardo

Hello Ricardo,

I got the same setup as you working some weeks ago with the following config. I also had to tweak my BIOS settings to have a reliable serial connection.

   (kernel-arguments
     '("quiet" "console=tty0" "console=ttyS0,115200"))

  (bootloader
    (bootloader-configuration
      (bootloader grub-efi-bootloader)
      (target "/boot/efi")
      (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout)
      (terminal-outputs '(gfxterm serial))
      (terminal-inputs '(console serial))
      (serial-unit 0)
      (serial-speed 115200)))

The order of the kernel argument "console=" is important because
« The last device will be used when you open /dev/console » [1].
And note that my baudrate is not 9600, the default value, because it's too slow when displaying files. If you have a low quality serial link use the default.

I was wondering about writing a patch to make this kind of setup the default for the image installer to allow installing Guix through a serial connection only.
Unfortunately such a setup will remove the current eye-candy GRUB theme.

#38580 may also interest you, it adds access to the BIOS settings from GRUB when
using UEFI.

[1]: https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/serial-console.html
[2]: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=38580