guix-devel

Re: Guix mirror: sourceware discussion report

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guix mirror: sourceware discussion report
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 17:42:37 +0100

Hi!

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <address@hidden> skribis:

> Something akin to
>
>  (channel
>    (name 'guix)
>    (url (list "https://savannah…";
>               "https://sourceware…";))
>    …)
>
> ?
>
> I'd like to see that added to the channels.scm format for selfish
> reasons.

Yup, that’d be nice.

> However, I'd still like the first or second URL to start with
> ‘guix.gnu.org’.  I have nothing against Sourceware, but guix.gnu.org
> has been pretty solid (AFAIK) and, more importantly, does not require
> users to trust yet another party by default.
>
> [‘Trustable Guix pull’ rears its head again :-) …]

Yeah…  I discussed this a bit with an in-toto/TUF person at the R-B
Summit and I’m wrapping my head again around it now, because clearly,
this is the main showstopper here.

Once this is addressed, at least to some level, we can happily mirror on
all the hosting sites we can think of.

Anyway, thank you zimoun for contacting the Sourceware folks, and thanks
Tobias & Ricardo for setting up the mirror on berlin!

Ludo’.