guix-devel

Re: Move r-{desolve, quadprog, pracma, subplex} from maths.scm to cran.s

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Move r-{desolve, quadprog, pracma, subplex} from maths.scm to cran.scm
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 16:38:29 +0100

zimoun <address@hidden> writes:

> If I understand well, the policy is: the packages in the file cran.scm
> cannot import '(gnu packages bioconductor).

Yes.  It’s not official policy, but I think we should avoid mutually
recursive module imports when we have a choice.

> In the file cran.scm, for example the packages r-shiny or r-sankeyd3
> do not come from CRAN but directly from Github.
> Maybe, we could group all the 6 non-CRAN packages and the 4 CRAN
> packages depending on Bioconductor to a unique file.
>
> What do you think?

Yes, the should probably be moved.  It’s also very easy to miss them
when doing mass upgrades, hidden among all these CRAN packages.

>> > 2.
>> > The second point is that the file statistics.scm contains 227 packages
>> > and 206 are cran-uri. And the file cran.scm already contains 602
>> > packages, so it will be almost as python-xyz.scm is. Why not. Then,
>> > this file statistics.scm will be almost empty and I propose instead to
>> > populate the files maths.scm, python-xyz.scm.
>> >
>> > What do you think?
>>
>> statistics.scm was the only thing we had for R in the beginning.  When
>> it grew and it became apparent that more and more CRAN packages would be
>> added, I felt that the module became less suitable.
>
> Sorry, my words was not good enough. I propose to remove the file
> statistics.scm by reordering the packages.

I think it’s fine to keep statistics.scm even when it’s small.  R and
pspp *are* stats packages after all, so this module remains the perfect
location for them.

>> I don’t understand your comment about “maths.scm” and “python-xyz.scm”.
>> I think it’s good to move CRAN and Bioconductor packages out of
>> statistics.scm whenever possible.  We can leave the actual statistics
>> programs there as well as potentially unmovable CRAN packages.
>
> In the file statistics.scm, once move to cran.scm or bioconductor.scm,
> there is few packages. For example 2 packages coming from PyPI and I
> propose to move them to the file python-xyz.scm. The other ones could
> be moved to the file maths.scm or the unamed (yet) file (see above).

I’d like to avoid moving anything *to* python-xyz.scm, because it’s a
bit of a dump.  I think it’s fine to just focus on the R packages for
now and address the rest later — if at all.

--
Ricardo