guix-devel

Re: Packaging Jami progress

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Packaging Jami progress
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2019 19:38:38 +0100

Jan <address@hidden> writes:

>> Note that the series will not apply with a fresh "git pull" because
>> there a conflict with the file cpp.scm. You need to rebase, as I asked
>> to Pierre. ;-)
> Rebase? Should I use a different checkout? Sorry, but this git thing
> is still a dark magic for me.

"Rebasing" means "reapply some changes on top of a new commit."

It's an important concept to synchronize changes when working with
multiple people.

The (1)git-rebase man page has some good examples with the drawings,
this could be helpful to understand how it works.

If you don't want to use Emacs and Magit, the man page will give you the
right command line invocation to rebase your branch onto master.

If you decide to go with Emacs and Magit (possibly the easiest way), you
can "rebase the <branch> onto master".  This should trigger a conflict,
which you can then resolve by pressing "e" (ediff) on the unmerged
(i.e. conflicting) changes.

Hope this helps!

--
Pierre Neidhardt