guix-devel

Re: Store channel specification in profile

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: Store channel specification in profile
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 20:35:28 +0100

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> In this case, how would you intend to use guix time-machine to reproduce
> these profiles?

"guix time-machine" and inferiors are different ways to access specific
Guix versions. "guix time-machine" simply runs a different Guix version.
You can then use it to access inferiors, if that versions supports them.
Mixing both is probably confusing for users, so I'd recommend not to do
it, but technically it is possible.

Assuming that we end up storing channel specifications for each package
in a manifest, we could then create a manifest file automatically that
re-generates the same profile using inferiors. No need for "guix
time-machine".

Cheers,
  Konrad.