guix-devel

State of the powerpc64le port

From: Jonathan Brielmaier
Subject: State of the powerpc64le port
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 01:07:26 +0100

Hello fellow Guix hackers,

recently I just gave the powerpc64le-linux thing another try, as I'm
missing Guix to much on my main machine (POWER9)...

Work is happening on a personal branch. It still in a WIP state and
force-pushing can occur:
https://gitlab.com/jonsger/Guix/tree/wip-master-powerpc64le

As a first step we need the bootstrap-binaries for powerpc64le. This
became pretty simple now. Apply

  gnu: Let cross-gcc-arguments built for powerpc64le.

on a x86_64 system and run:
./pre-inst-env guix build --target=powerpc64le-linux-gnu bootstrap-binaries

I uploaded the resulting tarballs to my private web server. They can be
found here:
http://brielmaier.net/guix/bootstrap/powerpc64le-linux/

On a powerpc64le system you need one commit, in order to get guix
building from the git repo:

  WIP: gnu: Add bootstrap-binaries for 'powerpc64le-linux'.

When this succeeds you should be able to build packages. At the moment
`./pre-inst-env guix build hello` fails while building
gcc-cross-boot0-7.4.0. See the gcc-cross-boot0-7.4.0-buildlog.bz2
attachment.

Because of that, one is not able to install any packages yet, but
commands like `guix search` or `guix show` already working like a charm :)

So I wonder if we could already bring some of those commits to master or
core-updates :P

That's it for now
Jonathan