guix-devel

Re: Publishing news about Guix on a weekly basis

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: Publishing news about Guix on a weekly basis
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2019 08:17:20 +0000

L p R n d n <address@hidden> writes:

> As for the cadence, I'm not really sure. 1 Month seems nice because it
> gives probably enough time for people to write one or two sentences on
> whats happening without to much of a burden for each post. Or if we go
> for a weekly post, I think we should stick with automatic posts. I fear,
> human written informations (highlights) would be lost in the flow,
> otherwise.

I was definately thinking about monthly, some other projects do that
successfully. Maybe both could work as well, the monthly post could
almost be a digest.

> Could we use guix pull --news datas here?

Yeah, I was thinking about this too. I might try and get the data in to
the Guix Data Service, at which point it'll be trivial to pull in to the
posts.

> One little thing that could be nice, IMHO, is to add the last commit
> used for the diff to let people pull from it. Or even a full copy-patable
> 'guix pull commit=...'. And if, the message is posponed 24h (or anything
> convenient) after the commit has been pushed, it could be a handy way
> for users to pull from a recent commit, yet with (probably) substitutes.
> What do you think?

So currently there a link at the bottom of the posts: "View comparison
data", which links to the Guix Data Service page where the data is
fetched from, and that does give the commit (at least in the short
form).

But yeah, adding the full commit to the post sounds like a good idea.

Thanks,

Chris