guix-devel

Re: Profiles/manifests-related command line interface enhancements

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Profiles/manifests-related command line interface enhancements
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 22:04:52 +0200

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> writes:

> It wouldn't be sufficient to remove them.  You'd have to restore the
> previous settings.  For example, if we remove the settings for PATH,
> MANPATH, etc, without restoring the previous settings, I doubt that you
> would be pleased with the results.

I don't understand.
Which previous settings?

As far as I understand, activating a profile never _removes_ any value
from environment variables.

> It seems to me that the most natural approach to allow restoring the
> previous environment settings is to launch a subshell when you activate
> a profile.  That subshell can then simply be exited to restore the
> previous settings.

I gave the example of EXWM, for which the user would like to change the
profile but a subshell won't do since it won't reflect on the parent
process, Emacs.

All that said, this is just a suggestion, I can live without this feature.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/