guix-devel

Re: 02/02: gnu: next: Compress the executable.

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: 02/02: gnu: next: Compress the executable.
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2019 11:49:55 +0200

And... I have so many more questions!

> ‘guix size’ and ‘guix gc -R’ show you the whole closure of the store
> item, so you might not realize that some of the things that ought to be
> direct dependencies are now in fact indirect dependencies.
>
> If sqlite ought to be a direct dependency and is now, in fact, an
> indirect dependency, things won’t break right away: sqlite won’t be
> deleted as long as next is live.
>
> But you’ll already run into problems: grafting will yield a broken next,
> as in <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/33848>.

I think the aforementioned issue is different: it's about store paths
that are written within Common Lisp code, which only happens here for
the next-gtk-webkit executable.  This is not related to SQLite or
others, which are visible to the reference scanner.

I don't understand how grafting could cause a problem: next-1.3.1-lib
would still be present, right?

> Furthermore, sqlite might eventually vanish entirely from the closure of
> next, as a consequence of changes in a dependency, and at that point
> running the GC may remove sqlite and thus break next.  ‘guix pack’ would
> also produce an incomplete pack.

If sqlite vanishes from the closure, it means the Next does not need
it.  Why would it be a problem then?

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/