guix-devel

Re: Help with $SHELL in perl package for backuppc

From: Jack Hill
Subject: Re: Help with $SHELL in perl package for backuppc
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 10:49:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 21 Aug 2019, Jack Hill wrote:

However, that fails to build because it tries to invoke /bin/sh (see full build log at the end of this message).

Line 2465 in configure.sh is suspicious as it reads:

```
$SHELL "$ac_aux_dir/config.sub" sun4 >/dev/null 2>&1 ||
```

I tried modifying the package definition to add a phase that sets the SHELL variable, but that did not alter the build error. My package definition with that change looks like:

After a more careful reading of configure.sh, the variable to set is CONFIG_SHELL, so a `(setenv "CONFIG_SHELL" (which "sh"))` does the trick. That means I now have the following package definition that builds.

```
(define-public perl-backuppc-xs
  (package
  (name "perl-backuppc-xs")
  (version "0.59")
  (source
    (origin
      (method url-fetch)
      (uri (string-append
             "mirror://cpan/authors/id/C/CB/CBARRATT/BackupPC-XS-"
             version
             ".tar.gz"))
      (sha256
        (base32
          "1rp57x3amv4g3sa1az83f5xyw25cj7hhvmj3jczrkmfbrpnxlkca"))))
  (build-system perl-build-system)
  (arguments
   '(#:phases
     (modify-phases %standard-phases
       (add-before 'configure 'set-environment-variables
         (lambda _
           (setenv "CONFIG_SHELL" (which "sh"))
           #t)))))
  (home-page
   "https://backuppc.github.io";)
  (synopsis
    "Perl extension for BackupPC libraries")
  (description "to be written")
  (license gpl3+)))
```

Now on to the other backuppc components.

Best,
Jack