guix-devel

Re: haskell changes

From: Timothy Sample
Subject: Re: haskell changes
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2019 21:09:30 -0400

Hi Robert,

Timothy Sample <address@hidden> writes:

> Robert Vollmert <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I have some Haskell-related changes ready for review and ideally merge
>> on wip-haskell-updates.
>
> Sounds good.  I’ll take a look at that branch soon.
>
>> Changes are:
>> 1. move libraries out of haskell.scm (mostly into haskell-xyz.scm, those
>> without ghc- prefix into haskell-apps.scm), as per
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-07/msg00070.html

There’s a bit too much going on this commit.  Would it be possible to
make the first commit do nothing but delete packages from “haskell.scm”
and move them to the “apps”, “check”, and “xyz” modules, and update the
module references?  Then, you can have another commit to move the SDL
packages from “apps” to “xyz”, and another for the module commentaries.
This way, it will be a lot easier to see what’s going on.

Also, it looks like you’ve reordered some packages in “haskell-xyz” in
this commit, too.  I agree with Ricardo that it’s probably best to leave
the ordering alone, but if it needs to be done, it should be it’s own
commit.

About the commit message, you don’t need to write each variable name out
twice.  You can group all the files that have updated module references,
too.  See commit 0791437f972caa7e48de91ad5cb150a614f617c2 for Ricardo’s
message when moving the Guile packages into “guile-xyz”.  I don’t think
you need the “[A]s discussed on guix-devel” part, but if you want to
keep it, you should provide a link to the discussion.

I know last time I made a lot of fixes myself, but I’m hoping this
feedback is useful for getting a better feel for Guix’s conventions.
Let me know if you feel differently.  :)

-- Tim