guix-devel

Re: Website translation

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Website translation
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 13:11:56 +0200

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 02:29:52PM +0200, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
> I will try writing a custom xgettext that combines
> nested·s-expressions·that are marked for translation with G_
> to·a·single·msgstr that gets written to the·PO·file.  This combined
> string will not be part of the source code but will be generated from
> a nested sexp.  The PO file containing the combined strings can then
> be translated as usual.  For reading the translation, the combined
> msgstr will be constructed again by the marking procedure G_ and
> looked up by reading from an MO file.
>
> It will take me a few days and a MO file reader will still be missing.
> I suppose it would be easier to use for the sxml’s author who would
> not need to write special code to internationalize the sxml.

Find attached a work-in-progress patch to guix-artwork that constructs
PO entries from nested sexps.  Also attached is a file marked for
translation and the POT file generated from it.  No custom MO reader
is needed because gettext is a fine MO reader, the problem is only
xgettext that cannot extract sexps.  Currently missing though is a
procedure or macro for deconstructing the msgstr to an sexp, so the
patch can only generate unusable POT files at the moment.  I will take
a look at it now, but it may again take a week.  Please tell me if you
think this is the wrong approach.

Regards,
Florian