guix-devel

Re: Guix beyond 1.0: let’s have a roadmap!

From: Ben Sturmfels
Subject: Re: Guix beyond 1.0: let’s have a roadmap!
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 17:00:30 +1000

Sorry, same as Robert, I've lost the original mail.

>> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> What do *you* want Guix to address in the future?
>>>
>>> #+TITLE: GNU Guix Beyond 1.0—A Road Map

I'd love to be able to annotate user and system generations with some
text, so that the text is shown back to me when running
"--list-generations". For example:

 - "Everything working, don't delete!" or
 - "Testing with CUPS service disabled" or
 - "Excluded Jupyter as build is currently failing" or
 - "Trialing CSVkit"

That way I can look back at `guix package --list-generations` and know
what's I ought to keep or delete. Otherwise all you have is the list of
packages but no information about the intent of each generation.

It would be helpful to be able to do this at the time of creating the
generation and also afterwards.

Regards,
Ben