guix-devel

Re: failing cuirass i686 tests

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: failing cuirass i686 tests
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 00:48:19 +0200

Hello,

Robert Vollmert <address@hidden> skribis:

> Two updates here:
>
> 1. I’ve seen a similar failure on x86_64 now:
> http://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/1520368/details
> So it seems it’s not i686 specific, just fails more frequently then.

Indeed, see also:

  https://ci.guix.gnu.org/search?query=basic+spec%3Aguix-master

> 2. The failing test "FAIL shell and user commands” runs basic commands
> guix/ls/grep/info. Judging by the test output, those do run successfully. The
> order of the output seems to be mixed up, but it looks the same as when the
> tests
> pass. My guess is therefore that it’s rather a problem with the testing
> infrastructure
> rather than with that test specifically.

I found that this is quite reproducible like this:

  make check-system TESTS=basic
  guix build --check /gnu/store/…-basic.drv
  # Try again until it fails.

I added a ‘pk’ and found that

  (marionette-eval (system "…"))

returns 'ready when the test fails, as if it hadn’t received the 'ready
message before (the one that we get when accessing the ‘repl’ field of
<marionette>).  I don’t see how that can happen, and why precisely here
and not in the previous or next test.  Thoughts?

Ludo’.