guix-devel

Character display problem in mumi and my mail client

From: Jack Hill
Subject: Character display problem in mumi and my mail client
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2019 17:23:57 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Guix,

It appears that mumi (or at least the instance of it running on issues.guix.gnu.org) has problems displaying some non-ASCII characters. I noticed it with '’'. Compare

https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/36207

with

In the former, Ludo's name displays as 'Ludo¢' while it the latter, it displays correctly as 'Ludo’'.

However, in Ludo's reply the character is displayed correctly.

Does this indicate that my mail client (alpine on Debian Stretch) is doing the wrong thing? It seems that mumi could handle this situation better since it debbugs appears to handle it correctly.

Looking at the raw mail downloaded from debbugs, I see that I'm sending mail as with the following encoding:

```
```

while Ludo's mail is:

```
```

Interestingly, when I download the mbox file for my mail from debbugs, and looking at it Emacs with my en_us.UTF-8 locale, the cents-symbol appears. Using iconv to convert the file from ISO-8859-7 to UTF8, causes the correct character to display. So what looks to be happening is that mumi is interpreting my messages using the wrong encoding.

Thoughts? Is this something we want to fix?

This reminds me of rjbs's talk, "Email Hates the Living". [0]

Best,
Jack

[0] http://yapcasia.org/2011/talk/59

P.S. How are we tracking issues and patches for mumi? bug-guix@ and guix-patches?