guix-devel

Re: We should disable dmesg for unprivileged users by default

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: We should disable dmesg for unprivileged users by default
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2019 09:04:22 +0200

Alex,

Alex Vong 写道:
I think we should set /proc/sys/kernel/dmesg_restrict to 1 by default to prevent unprivileged users from reading the kernel ring buffer (since it
could expose sensitive information about the system).

Debian does this. I don't know about other distros.

I do this on all my Guix Systems by default; sounds good to me!

Let's do it by setting CONFIG_SECURITY_DMESG_RESTRICT=y in the kernel configuration: it changes the default /proc/sys/kernel/dmesg_restrict from 0 to 1, but still allows changing it later (I tried).

No overhead, no service whose only job is to flip an unwanted bit, no cmdline cruft.

Kind regards,

T G-R