guix-devel

Re: building from local (or private) git repository

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: building from local (or private) git repository
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 18:20:26 +0200

Robert Vollmert <address@hidden> skribis:

> What I have working so far uses local-file, as below:
>
> (define-public puzzledb-tools
>   (package
>     (name "puzzledb-tools")
>     (version "20190625-git")
>     (source
>       (local-file
>         "/home/rob/puzzledb/tools"
>         #:recursive? #t))

FWIW that’s what ‘--with-source’ does.

> That’s a bit annoying because it includes stale files that happen
> to be in the directory, it doesn’t check the hash, etc.

Like Marius wrote, you could pass #:select?

  (local-file …
              #:select? (git-predicate "/home/rob/puzzledb/tools"))

> Using a git origin with a local path doesn’t work for reasons I don’t
> completely understand — I think it’s because the guix-daemon builds in
> a namespace without access to the local filesystem. Perhaps there’s a
> way to link the git repository into that namespace?

Build processes for origins work in the global namespaces, with access
to the network and to everything.  So I think something like this should
work:

  (origin
    (method url-fetch)
    (url "/home/rob/puzzledb/tools")