guix-devel

Re: core-updates freeze

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: core-updates freeze
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 17:26:43 +0200

Hello!

Marius Bakke <address@hidden> skribis:

> The core-updates branch is now (almost!) ready for prime time.

Yay!

> This is turning out to be one of the biggest merges ever[*], currently
> representing 433 commits from 15 people, with commits dating back to
> September last year(!).

Ouch!  This is both impressive and… frightening.  :-)

> Some of the highlights from this branch include:
>
> * jannekes long-awaited new reduced binary seeds for i686 and x86_64
> * GCC7 is now the default compiler
> * The 'CMake' package comes with full documentation
> * OpenSSL 1.1 is now the default 'openssl' package
> * GNOME 3.30
> * glibc 2.29, binutils 2.32, gettext 0.20, bash 5.0.7, gawk 5.0.1, ...

Exciting!

> To give everyone a little time to brush up any last-minute patches, as
> well as let the CI catch up with 'master' and 'staging', I suggest we
> set a final date for starting the full CI build on *July 9th*, i.e six
> days from now.  At which point the branch becomes bugfix-only, no new
> updates or features.
>
> July 9th incidentally gives us just enough time to get Python 3.7.4 too,
> which comes with desirable security and OpenSSL 1.1 compatibility fixes.

July 9th is now behind us, where are we?  I’m currently running:

  guix pull --branch=core-updates -p /tmp/core-updates

so I can give it a shot with my profile and my system.

Is there anything people should pay attention to, or any specific tests
we should make?

Thank you!

Ludo’.