guix-devel

Re: having trouble modifying guix-daemon

From: Robert Vollmert
Subject: Re: having trouble modifying guix-daemon
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2019 09:44:00 +0200

On 5. Jul 2019, at 23:41, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
> Robert Vollmert <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>>> On 1. Jul 2019, at 12:28, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Robert Vollmert <address@hidden> skribis:

>>> In my experience I rarely need to log every operation (e.g., every RPC),
>>> and when I do, I add a well-placed ‘pk’.  :-)
>>
>> That’s hardly something you’d expect a guix system user to do that’s trying
>> to understand why guix pull is taking forever though, is it?
>
> No, but I don’t expect users to profile Guix anyway.
>
> I didn’t understand your request had to do with ‘guix pull’.  It “takes
> forever” for two reasons:

I think I didn’t really get my point across. I didn’t mean to ask about why
‘guix pull’ is slow (though I am interested, and am thankful for the
explanation).

Instead, I’d like to improve on my experience, which I’m sure others would run
into:

- working with guix, doing some calls to guix pull, guix system reconfigure.
- notice that it takes quite a while, and often hangs for extended periods of
time without clear indication what it’s doing, whether it’s even doing anything
- look through the manuals to find out how to get more useful output to answer
those questions, learn about “debug” and “verbose” command line options.
- through trial and error, learn that “verbose” doesn’t seem to be helpful, but
“debug” does add some output
- but that output is mostly just pages and pages of identical locking/unlocking
the store lines

In my opinion, the debug output, if available, should help to answer the
original
questions. And certainly not prompt more questions, such as “is this just
spinning
on a lock?” which have an easy answer.

To that extent, I’d like to improve the output of debug level guix pull logging.
If you’d really not like adding more debug statements, I’d suggest kicking out
the
existing locking statements from guix daemon.

Cheers
Robert