guix-devel

Re: Permissions error during libhandy build - looking for tips

From: Jonathan Brielmaier
Subject: Re: Permissions error during libhandy build - looking for tips
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2019 20:47:06 +0200

On 7/7/19 6:41 PM, Jonathan Frederickson wrote:
> Hi! I'm trying to package libhandy for Guix, but I'm running into some
> issues. libhandy uses Meson for builds - I'm not super familiar
> with it, but it looks like something during the installation process is
> trying to write to a path in /gnu/store that it doesn't have
> permissions to write to.

Hallo Jonathan,

I had a quick look at the log file and found this line:
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/gnu/store/m4jn72l561mppfh12br1vcrp9x9y812p-glade-3.22.1/lib/glade/modules/libglade-handy.so'

It tries to install the libglade-handy.so to the glade package, which is
forbidden. m4jn72l561mppfh12br1vcrp9x9y812p-glade-3.22.1 is a different
package, which you can't change during the install process of libhandy...

So there are two options from here:
- bring meson to install libglade-handy.so to the libhandy package
- don't intall libglade-handy.so at all

> I'm still fairly new to Guix packaging so it's not obvious to me why
> this is failing at the moment. I've attached the build log and what I
> have so far for the package definition. If anyone has advice that could
> be helpful here, it would be highly appreciated!

0.0.10 is out, I think we should package this version.

I would change this:
(origin
       (method url-fetch)
       (uri (string-append
"https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/libhandy/-/archive/";
                           version
                           "/libhandy-"
                           version
                           ".tar.gz"))

to an origin based on git-fetch from a tag. This is usually better in
terms of reproducibility:

(source (origin
              (method git-fetch)
              (uri (git-reference
                     (url "https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/libhandy";)
                     (commit version)))
              (file-name (git-file-name name version))

> (This package also has tests that look like they require access to an
> X server, which fail - I think this is expected? I've just disabled
> tests for the time being, but is there any way to actually run tests
> like that during a build in Guix?)

I don't how to do this. For me it would be oke to disable the tests or
better to try to run those who doesn't require an X server.

By the way: Am I right in the assumption that you are interested in the
Librem 5?

Happy Hacking
Jonathan