guix-devel

Re: syslogd can't be started when running Guix in Docker

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: syslogd can't be started when running Guix in Docker
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2019 05:10:50 +0000

Hi Konrad,

On July 2, 2019 5:16:40 PM UTC, Konrad Hinsen <address@hidden> wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>I am exploring the possibility of running Guix under macOS via Docker.
>First I ran 'guix system docker-image` on a minimal system
>configuration, which I then transferred to the Mac and started.
>Overall it works admirably well. There are however a few services
>that don't work, in particulary syslogd:

Try running the Docker container in privileged mode (docker run --privileged);
I think this will allow the necessary Guix  services dependencies of the syslog
service to run.

I forgot the details, bit I think it has to do with syslog depending on
something you'd have on a real system but not in a container.

>   root@guix /# herd status
>   Started:
>    + file-systems
>    + guix-daemon
>    + host-name
>    + loopback
>    + root
>    + root-file-system
>    + udev
>    + urandom-seed
>    + user-file-systems
>    + user-processes
>    + virtual-terminal
>   Stopped:
>    - nscd
>    - ssh-daemon
>    - syslogd
>   One-shot:
>    * user-homes
>
>   root@guix /# herd start syslogd
>   Service syslogd could not be started.
>   herd: failed to start service syslogd
>
>I have no idea why this should fail, and worse, I have no idea how to
>debug this.

I think I've used the emacs-guix package to see the dependency graphs of
services and that helped me IIRC. Plus peaking in the services source code.

HTH,

Maxim