guix-devel

Re: Difference between Scintilla's license and ISC

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: Difference between Scintilla's license and ISC
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 10:03:07 +0200

Hello Andreas,

unfortunately the discussion process for OSI approval of the HPND [1]
license was practically null :-), so I cannot find more info about that
specific "without fee" in the license

There isn't discussion on https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/License:HPND
also

Andreas Enge <address@hidden> writes:

> I do not get why the license can be free with the non-commercial
> clause.

At first I was also tricked to understand "without fee" to mean
non-commercial, precisely that "without fee" is related to "distribute
this software".

Reading the first sentence four times, we can also read "without fee"
related to "Permission to..." **and** "use, copy, modify and distribute"
"for any purpose", including commercial one

Anyway I agree with Bruce Dodson [1]:
«The notice has ambiguities that make it hard to recommend»

> What am I misunderstanding?

The above one is my personal interpretation of the ambiguity coming from
"without fee", anyway the fact that this license is GNU and OSI approved
(as GPL compatible one, also) is a guarantee :-)

...and is Historical! :-D

HTH! Gio'.

[1]
https://web.archive.org/web/20190620074602/http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:sss:6305:jggiiehpeekebdbmpopm