guix-devel

Re: where to put helper to send stdout/stderr to syslog?

From: Robert Vollmert
Subject: Re: where to put helper to send stdout/stderr to syslog?
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 15:12:27 +0200

> On 17. Jun 2019, at 14:45, Danny Milosavljevic <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> But doesn't shepherd already log to /dev/kmsg and/or /dev/log (so that ends up
> in syslog)?  Since exec-command&co keep the standard output and standard
> error,
> they (and thus all shepherd services) should also already log to the
> aforementioned syslog by default.
>
> What is the use case you envision?

It sure doesn’t seem like it. For that service, everything lands on
/dev/console, and I even see some sshd messages there that
don’t make it to syslog...

>> Would logger-wrapper be generally useful to have available? If so,
>> is it named well, and where would it fit?
>
> I think it could be made part of shepherd and be exported there, then everyone
> could use it.  Logging to syslog isn't exactly an obscure requirement :)

Oh I agree that shepherd should in principle deal with capturing
stdout/stderr. I rather like how systemd‘s status command
shows the last few lines of process output. Just not sure this kind
if wrapper fits there.

> P. S. The way you invoke logger (without full path or gexp package reference)
> it will pick up a random logger implementation.  I'm surprised that it works
> at all that way.

I didn’t figure out how else to refer to it. It’s part of bsdutils upstream
as far as I can tell, and installed by default.

> P. S. Your implementation has shell injection because "name" could contain
> spaces and/or semicolons.  I suggest not to use the shell command string but
> rather passing logger's argv directly.

Ok, will try to figure out how to open pipes with explicit argv.

Thanks
Robert