guix-devel

Re: on cabal revisions

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: on cabal revisions
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2019 22:24:52 +0200

Timothy Sample <address@hidden> writes:

>> Is “guix refresh” even a good approach for the haskell packages? There’s
>> a lot of work being done to put consistent sets of haskell packages, e.g.
>> the whole stackage project. Does Guix mean to replicate this work, or would
>> it maybe be a good choice to follow stackage sets?
>
> We mostly do this already.  There is a Stackage importer, and a little
> while ago I updated most of our Haskell packages to their LTS 12
> versions.

At the beginning we just had all the latest packages from Hackage and it
took considerable time and effort to upgrade them all to a consistent
LTS set.

This makes the review of updates to ghc-* packages a little slower for
me because these packages really ought to be upgraded together so that
they closely resemble whichever LTS version we’re following.

(This is what I’m doing for Bioconductor and CRAN packages and it would
be great if we could regularly sync our Haskell packages in the same
manner.)

--
Ricardo