guix-devel

GNU ChangeLog Format: <> or []?

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: GNU ChangeLog Format: <> or []?
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2019 21:14:52 -0700

Hi all,

I've noticed that the GNU Standards indicate [] should be used for
conditional changes, and <> should be used for identifying the part that
changed.  However, in Guix, I've noticed that people tend to use [] not
to indicate conditional changes, but rather to indicate the part that
changed.  Is there a reason for this?  Does it matter?

Relevant sections in the GNU Standards are:

(standards) Conditional Changes
https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Conditional-Changes.html#Conditional-Changes

(standards) Indicating the Part Changed
https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Indicating-the-Part-Changed.html#Indicating-the-Part-Changed