guix-devel

Re: [ANNOUNCE] ganeti-instance-guix 0.3

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] ganeti-instance-guix 0.3
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2019 23:40:05 +0200

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> Guix is a functional package manager that can be installed on any
>>> GNU/Linux distribution, and offers a declarative operating system
>>> interface.  Ganeti is an API-driven clustered virtual machine manager
>>> with strong consistency guarantees.  Together they form a very powerful
>>> abstraction for building infrastructure with code.
>>
>> I think you should write a blog article about the use cases and how this
>> fits together, for someone not familiar with Ganeti (like me!) or with
>> Guix.
>
> Oh yes, this sounds like a good idea.  I’d love to read more about
> this.

I am happy to do this, there's just one slight problem: Ganeti is not
available in Guix!  I have been content with running it on Debian, but
promoting that on the Guix blog sounds embarrassing ;-)

Packaging would entail making Cabal work with GHC_PACKAGE_PATH.  There
has been some demand for this on the lists already, I will give it a go.

In the mean time, for those who want to try it, here are some decent
resources (apart from the Ganeti documentation, which is pretty good):

* <https://dsa.debian.org/howto/install-ganeti/>
* <https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ganeti>

I can also offer professional help with deploying Ganeti, Guix, and many
other things...  Contact <address@hidden> if that sounds interesting.

> I’m not familiar with Ganeti, but it looks like it would simplify our
> complicated VM management setup that cobbles together DRBD, libvirt,
> etc.

Ganeti is a kind of 'clustered libvirt' that manages networking, DRBD,
migration etc.  It is an amazing tool, lacking only in online resources.

I wish to create a Guix-centric web frontend for it, and ultimately
build a native Guix VPS service.  But don't hold your breath for this
just yet ;-)