guix-devel

Re: Lightning talk at IPFS camp

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: Lightning talk at IPFS camp
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2019 20:53:47 +0200

Am 03.06.19 um 18:19 schrieb Pronaip:

-   All data comes with provenance tracking:
     -   computations are tracked via Guix
     -   human input is logged (interactivity) or version controlled

unless you vision of the distant future somehow also includes most social
problems having been solved, these would be ripe for abuse by malicious actors.

I didn't say that provenance information should be made public, even if the data itself is. It could well be encrypted. More generally, encryption is an essential ingredient for dealing with non-public data in IPFS. Which is indeed a weak point considering that you never know for how long encryption will be safe.

Not having any local file system is also just plain wasteful.

Note that I said file system, not storage. There should be local storage for efficiency, but it would act like a cache, not as a separately managed storage space.

BTW, data management is not really part of IPFS at all, it needs to be handled by another layer and so far there is little more than experiments. Textile looks promising, for example.

Konrad.