guix-devel

Re: X/GDM fails on linux 5.0.7 AMD Radeon RX 580 after system reconfigur

From: ison
Subject: Re: X/GDM fails on linux 5.0.7 AMD Radeon RX 580 after system reconfigure
Date: Sat, 25 May 2019 18:24:53 -0600

Are you using GuixSD or Guix on top of another distro?

It seemed to me that when my caches were empty the first application I'd run
would cause the shaders to be rebuilt with whatever version of llvm that
application was built with.
And it also seems that the issue goes both ways, so if you run an application
that builds the shaders with llvm6 then all applications which expect 7 will
show artifacts, and vice versa, if you clear your cache and then immediately run
a program which builds the shaders with llvm7 then any programs which expect
llvm6 will see artifacts.

So it sounds to me like you have a combination of programs built with these
conflicting versions.
In my case, since I'm running GuixSD, I just did a full upgrade, cleared both
caches, and then restarted my machine. Haven't had an issue since.

However, if you're using just Guix on another distro, then perhaps the host
distro software uses llvm6 while your Guix applications use llvm7?
If that's the case then I'm not sure what the best solution to that would be.
Perhaps you could just consider re-installing the affected Guix applications
with:
guix package -i your_program address@hidden
until your host distro updates to llvm7.