guix-devel

Re: postgresql vs sqlite for Cuirass (was Re: Hackathon: Mumi and Cuiras

From: Aljosha Papsch
Subject: Re: postgresql vs sqlite for Cuirass (was Re: Hackathon: Mumi and Cuirass)
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 12:42:55 +0200

Hi,

Am Freitag, den 17.05.2019, 10:26 +0200 schrieb Gábor Boskovits:
> Any suggestions to overcome this would be appreciated.

I would go with the client/server database. It helps scaling in the
long term and Guix must take over the world, no? With SQLite you'll be
stuck with the single file on a single server. You could implement your
custom replication using rsync or whatever, but you'll have to ensure
that the receivers do not write to the file (readonly "slaves"). In the
end it will be a problem already solved by Postgres and other
server/client databases.

I don't know about multi-master replication in Postgres, with MySQL it
would be possible.

> 200 SQL statements per webpage is excessive for client/server
> database like MySQL [...] But with SQLite [it's] not a problem.

The main problem the author sees is the roundtrip of the message to the
DB server. It's a common problem that you will get into when moving
from single machine to cluster. IMHO you shouldn't shy away by sticking
to the single machine, but optimize the application to get the benefits
that a cluster provides you (mainly availability).

Best regards
Aljosha
(checking Guix out for web development)