guix-devel

Re: GNU gettext 0.20.1 released

From: Miguel
Subject: Re: GNU gettext 0.20.1 released
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 03:34:14 +0200

Hi Tobias,

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <address@hidden>:
> Bruno,
>
> Wow.  Thank you for this great summary!  Would that all projects
> published such clear (and custom) release notes…  <3
>
> I see that gnu/packages/gettext.scm has a nice chronological list
> of copyright lines, which does make it appear as if I'm the
> current packager of gettext in Guix.  However, the Guix project
> doesn't have this notion of (package) maintainer: everyone
> packages, fixes, and updates what they can whenever they can.
> This might change in future but it works rather well now.
>
> For that reason, I'm CC'ing the address@hidden list.  I
> encourage you to add it to your own for future releases.
>
> I'm having some trouble with the actual upgrade but I'll save that
> for a reply.

What are the issues you have?  I could help with that. :-)

I see a big point that need special care: gettext-tools now depends on
libtextstyle, so gettext-boot0 will definitely fail if only
gettext-minimal is updated to the next version.

This is going to be a big big update in any case.  We can avoid
the new bootstrap, keeping 0.19.8.1 for it, but we should update
gettext-minimal so it may not worth the effort as probably almost all
the packages will be rebuilt.

My snippet for building it is this one, with some code from
gettext-minimal and it need some work:
-------------------->8--------------------
(define-public gettext-next
  (package (inherit gettext-minimal)
    (name "gettext-next")
    (version "0.20.1")
    (source (origin
             (method url-fetch)
             (uri (string-append "mirror://gnu/gettext/gettext-"
                                 version ".tar.gz"))
             (sha256
              (base32
               "0p3zwkk27wm2m2ccfqm57nj7vqkmfpn7ja1nf65zmhz8qqs5chb6"))))
    (inputs
     `(("xml2" ,libxml2)
       ;; Avoid dependency cycles
       ("unistring" ,(@ (gnu packages libunistring) libunistring))
       ("ncurses" ,(@ (gnu packages ncurses) ncurses))))
    (arguments
     `(#:configure-flags
       (list "--with-included-libunistring=no"
             "--with-included-libxml=no"
             (string-append "--with-libxml2-prefix="
                            (assoc-ref %build-inputs "xml2"))
             (string-append "--with-libncurses-prefix="
                            (assoc-ref %build-inputs "ncurses"))
             (string-append "--with-libtermcap-prefix="
                            (assoc-ref %build-inputs "ncurses"))
             (string-append "--with-libunistring-prefix="
                            (assoc-ref %build-inputs "unistring")))
       #:phases
       (modify-phases %standard-phases
        (add-before 'configure 'patch-fixed-paths
         (lambda* (#:key inputs #:allow-other-keys)
           (let* ((bash (which "sh")))
             (substitute* '("gettext-tools/config.h.in"
                            "gettext-tools/gnulib-tests/init.sh"
                            "gettext-tools/tests/init.sh"
                            "gettext-tools/system-tests/run-test")
               (("/bin/sh")
                bash))
             (substitute* '("gettext-tools/src/project-id"
                            "gettext-tools/projects/KDE/trigger"
                            "gettext-tools/projects/GNOME/trigger")
                 (("/bin/pwd")
                  "pwd"))
             #t)))

        (add-before 'check 'patch-tests
         (lambda* (#:key inputs #:allow-other-keys)
           (let* ((bash (which "sh")))
             ;; Some of the files we're patching are
             ;; ISO-8859-1-encoded, so choose it as the default
             ;; encoding so the byte encoding is preserved.
             (with-fluids ((%default-port-encoding #f))
               (substitute*
                   (find-files "gettext-tools/tests"
                               "^(lang-sh|msg(exec|filter)-[0-9])")
                 (("#![[:blank:]]/bin/sh")
                  (format #f "#!~a" bash)))

               #t)))))

       ;; When tests fail, we want to know the details.
       #:make-flags '("VERBOSE=yes")))))

Happy hacking,
Miguel